Tuesday, August 31, 2010

#70 - The Goonies - 1985


The 7th and final movie of my 80's week that I decided to watch was the ultra iconic Goonies. This film was ridiculously great on some many different levels and easily the best movie of the week and right up there with one of my favorites. I would probably have to admit it would be a tie between this one and the Burbs. I love both these films but if I'm being honest this one was better than the Burbs and the best movie of the week. Below is my detailed review.


This film is one of those unique films that is basically for everyone and that everyone can enjoy. Originally advertised as a family adventure flick this film is so much more. It blends action, comedy, adventure, suspense, and thrills in a rare way that most films couldn't even imagine. No matter what age you are you would enjoy this film. You've got children heading out to explore a possible treasure, a criminal family on the run, the typical 80's flick teen jerk, caves and caverns, waterfalls and pirate ships and some of the most scenic settings you could possibly ask for so really this film pretty much had it all. Lets start with the cast because without them none of this would even matter.


The main actors of this film who were self proclaimed Goonies were Sean Astin (Mikey), Corey Feldmen (Mouth), Jeff Cohen (Chunk), Jonathan Quan (Data), Josh Brolin (Brandon), Kerri Green (Andy), and Martha Plimpton (Stef). I don't think there could have been a better cast of characters for the Goonies than this, absolutely great! The bad guys who made up the Fratelli Family were brothers Robert Davi (Jake) and Joe Pantoliano (Francis), and their mother Mama was played by Anne Ramsey. Sloth who was technically a Fratelli was really a good guy in the film and helps out the Goonies in the end. My favorite character as is most people's I'm sure was Chunk! He was by far the funniest one of the bunch.


I don't necessarily know for sure if this film was filmed in Astoria, Oregon but I believe so since they made a day in June this past summer the Official Goonies Day in that city. It's been 25 years since the release of this wonderful film and I cant wait to get this 25th Anniversary Edition on Bluray! The setting for this film with Astoria, if that is truly Astoria in the background was quite scenic and absolutely gorgeous. I love the rolling hills, lush green trees, and the ocean views. Astoria looks like a beautiful place to live and if I recall that is where Arnold went and ended up teaching in Kindergarten Cop. The town of Astoria and the caves, waterfalls, and pirate ship sets were all very visually stimulating and was a treat for my eyes. I especially loved the water slide scene near the end of the film. How fun would that have been to film??


One thing that Ill always relate to the Goonies is Cyndi Lauper. Her video of "Good Enough" is shown on the TV at the Walsh's and that song is played in the movie as well. She also co-wrote the song "Goonie R Good Enough" as well for the movie as that was played too. Her music along with the score for this film was a perfect fit and kind of like the Star Wars theme the Goonies theme and score are incredibly recognizable and most people who have seen the movie know exactly what that music is the second they hear it.


This film had adventure from start to finish and was intertwined with some very funny scenes. There are almost too many to name in a single review without going on too much but Ill do my best. Here are my favorite scenes and what I remember most about the Goonies. The chase scene at the beginning and Chunk's overexcitement to share with everyone what he witnessed was very funny. He of course had to do the "truffle shuffle" before getting in. I loved the device at the Walsh's house that let people in the front gate. I wonder who thought of that for this film? Very different, very odd. One of the funniest scenes of the entire film takes place in the Walsh's living room when Data crashes through a window and knocks over a statue which Chunk catches but then of course drops. I think we all know which part broke off the statue and how it got glued back on. haha!!


There are little quotes and comments throughout the film that are funny to me and remind me of when I was younger. For instance while in the attic when Chunk says "1662 is that a year or something" and Mouth replies "no, that's your top score on pole position". I loved that game! So basic, so fun! I also thought it was humorous that Mikey would always say, at least on 5 or 6 different occasions "that's what I said" after accidentally skewering words over and over. The most memorable and probably most popular though has to be Chunks scene with Sloth where Slot states both "Baby Ruth" and Rocky Road". Another popular one is when Troy, the rich kid prick yells down the well and yells "you Goonies"!

Like I said before Chunk was my favorite character in the film and his scenes being stuck in the freezer, his time with Sloth, and the infamous blender confession scene were all very very entertaining. Had there not been a character like Chunk with his dramatic and down right hilarious acting ability these scenes wouldn't have been half as good. Kudos to Jeff Cohen for his work as Chunk! Data had some great scenes in this movie as well and they all had to do with his gadgets and gizmo's which were very cool and one which even saved his life. His extremely bright lights were pretty awesome if you ask me as well as those slick shoes! I love it when Data comes to the waterfall and fountain scene and yells out "its a giant piggy bank"!


Like I mentioned before the settings for this film were pretty darn cool and they were on full effect when the group entered the skull faced cave and encountered the skeleton piano. The chase scene over the running water on the log was quite comical and painful for the Fratelli's. I think it would be so much fun to have an adventure through caves and caverns like the Goonies did sans the bad guys following me of course. When seeing these scenes I constantly wonder where they shot all of the underground scenes and what happened to those sets. I think it would have been so much fun to work on this film as they encountered so many different obstacles throughout. It all culminated to a great final sequence aboard One Eyed Willies Pirate Ship with treasure and gold all around. The Goonies found the treasure, helped bring the bad guys to justice, and in the end saved their parents home so it was a classic fairy tale ending for this film even though it was not a Disney flick. Amazing, amazing, amazing! They don't make movies like this very often so this was a treat to get to watch this one! No shocker here, this one gets an A+!

No comments:

Post a Comment